Monday, September 28, 2009

KAA: Lambeau Leap of Faith

One of the reasons I went on this journey is because I literally NEEDED to get away, as ridiculous as that may sound from someone who had been unemployed for months.  I needed a break from the hopelessness, but I also knew my resources were slim at best.  I was going to see how far I could get with what I had, knowing I didn't have much.  When I got to Wisconsin I had a cold reality check and I thought that would be as far as I would make it.  




After sleeping only for a few hours in a Wisconsin rest stop, I got to Madison, capital of WI and home of the University of Wisconsin.  You probably noticed already that I like to check out state houses and universities and there's 2 reasons for that a. I'm insecure and b. They are free tourist attractions.  


Wisconsin's campus is right next to A FREAKIN' LAKE!  How cool is that?  'Oh I just got out of class, where should I go, well there's always A FREAKIN' LAKE!'  Though its probably not that big an attraction during the cold months, but still, a freakin' lake is a freakin' lake.  I suppose that makes up for having a campus bookstore that doesn't sell shot glasses, that was a big WTF moment.




After a fine day of checking out Madison, my next destination was Milwaukee, and I've always wanted to go to Milwaukee.  Unfortunately, I begun feeling very sick on the way there.  By the time I got to a Motel 6 I had a fever and was about to pass out, I thought I would have to turn around.


Antibiotics and 14 hours of sleep gave me a boost so I ventured into Milwaukee.  First impression: this place is REALLY NICE!  Lakefront parks are nice, weather was nice, downtown area is nice, people are nice, and the food is great.  I would live in Milwaukee, which doesn't sound like much for someone who is moving to El Paso, but generally I like to live in nice places.  I stopped at the Milwaukee Brat House for lunch where the sausage was excellent and the beer was hands down the BEST I'VE EVER HAD!  Read more at http://kanan.yelp.com







Reinvigorated I headed up north to Green Bay.  My plan was to drive north to Michigan's UP, see Lake Superior, and cross into Michigan from the north, skipping Chicago and more importantly Gary, IN.


When I got to Green Bay I immediately headed to Lambeau Field, home of the Packers.  There were a lot of people touring the stadium and buying up Packer gear, hoping to see the players after practice.  At first I was puzzled by how many attractive women there were around, then I remembered rich people work here, makes sense.

This NEVER Happened =P


Before heading out to see Lake Superior I decided to stop at a Kinko's to check on email, facebook, and twitter (which had been acting up all day).  I also checked my bank account balance... I knew I didn't have much and I had been trying to be as frugal as possible during the trip, but I had not counted on there not being any Chevron or Texaco stations in so many states, the gas costs were really adding up.  I realized I wasn't going to be able to continue on my trip.

Dejected I decided to turn around and head south for Texas, Kanan Across America was over, at least I had seen many new places, but I was still upset.  When I got to Chicago, while stuck in traffic I decided to go for broke.  I knew I wasn't going to be able to pay September's rent and truth is, I was happy.  I had not been this happy in a long time, I'd been practically rotting for almost 2 years unable to do much.  I stopped thinking about tomorrow and headed east, even if that risked getting me stranded in Gary, IN.



Your American Hero,
-AK

0 comments: