Tuesday, October 20, 2009

KAA: An Appalachian Affair



Its hard to believe that one could experience all Appalachia has to offer culturally in just one day, but if there's anyone that can come to appreciate bourbon, coal, and steel in a mere 24 hours, it is me!

I started the morning in Cincinnati, a much nicer city than anything else Ohio had thrown at me so far!  I got the opportunity to goof around downtown in the morning, which for a major city (and one I assume to be full of yuppie east coast hipsters due to P&G) was really dead!  I actually don't mind that, got to enjoy some of the downtown architecture.  I was really disappointed to find out that The Great American Ballpark was actually named after The Great American Insurance Company :( I always wondered if some great baseball something had once taken place in Cincinnati.  I was also there too early to get Skyline chili, that's a double :( :(

Take Me To Kentucky!



First off, when did Louisville and Lexington stop being the capital of Kentucky?  I received no memo, no email, no text, no tweet, no nothing!  The state recently decided to move the capital to a town called Frankfort, which is halfway between the two.  Due to the fact that I was heading northeast I decided to skip Louisville in the interest of efficiency.  Check out the Kentucky bluegrass, its really blue!  If its not showing please adjust your tint settings.



Lexington was on the way, thankfully enough, home of the University of Kentucky, where I was hoping to rendezvous with Ashley Judd.








Take Me Home, Country Roads... West Virginia!





Driving through West Virginia was actually a very fun affair!  I love driving through mountains, tons of hills and fun turns, and a refreshing lack of trucks made driving through the entire state a joy.  I stopped in Charleston to see the capitol, but didn't stick around for too long because I wanted to make it to WVU before nightfall.  I did get to Morgantown in time, unfortunately the campus was damn near impossible to find.  I did get to see some of the campus and the football stadium.

West Virginia Coal Miner Tribute, SUCK IT HIPPIES!








Finally made it to Pittsburgh, where finding a hotel room was not easy, I guess a lot of folks were in town for either the nearby Pro Football Hall of Fame induction or the likelier scenario, for a Pirates game ZING!  I didn't have much of an agenda for the steel city, just a little sightseeing.





How nice of Pittsburgh to name a street after Dallas Cowboy Legend Tony Dorsett for no reason whatsoever!


Your American Hero,
-AK

0 comments: